Friday, September 5, 2008

here

hey guys sorry i havent been able to write! its crazy here!
today im going to Masese ( a village near by, one of the poorest areas around Jinja, were we live) to feed about 400 orphans with Josh and Ian (we do this every friday)(and holy cow, talk about feeding Jesus when he was hungry, this is what ive always dreamed of, is feeding hungry children, and im actually getting a chance to do it, its crazy) Yesterday was amazing. We walked to Danita, where the Suubi women live and I met some of the women. I wasnt really sure what to expect but for some reason I was surprized that most of the women I met, were working on suubi beads as I approached thier homes (wich are little more than four concrete walls and a sheet for a door, although, one of them had a canadian flag for a door wich i thought was interesting). The women really do work really hard on these necklaces and theyre always looking for ways to better them, or coming up with new designs. I met Agnes, who speaks almost fluent English, shes the one who brought me around to meet some of the other suubi women. She has four sons and a daughter. OH! The kids here are crazy.
Mzungu How are you?
thats pretty much what i hear everywhere I go.
The kids are adorable, i cant even stand it!
OH!
BETTY!
Betty is our house keeper, shes such a babe! Americas next top model has nothing on this woman, shes 23, and about three years ago she was living in the north and her village was attacked, she thought everyone in her family died so (we think) she walked all the way down here to Jinja to look for work. She has a son whos name is either Davey David or Kimby, not sure, they all call him all three. Ill have pictures up soon I promice.
I havent taken my shots yet, I get them on monday.
The food here is good, Betty made us this crazy beef penut sauce with sweet potatoes ( not yams, regular potatoes but sweet...they call regular potatoes irish potatoes) and poshu, wich im still not really sure what its made of. Ive been munching on penut butter bannana sandwiches, beans, and rice. tonight i might cook the fish me and John got at the market yesterday.
I really got to connect with the rest of the volunteers in the house, and im so excited to be spending the next few months with Julie (shes even more beautiful a person than i thought she would be!) John (coolest red head with a rat tail in town) Ian (redeamed the name Ian for me) and Josh (hater of bananda and penut butter mixtures BUT will settle for bannana and chocolate), and Megan (she doesnt live with us but shes around)
God has been speaking so quietly while ive been here.
ive mostly been humbled so far.
the people here really do live on nothing, and somehow they make it work.
they keep smiling.
the people are so beautiful, ive seen Gods creativity like crazy.
I dont have much time and i know this is real short and everything but were on a bit pf a schedule.

Mom- i misunderstood when dave said i should bring like 300 - 400 dollars, julie said i should have more sent, so if you could send the rest of the money to dave to put into julies account or into the light gives heat account, that would be great, and if anyone would like to support me, i still need funds.

Psalms 9: 18
But the needy will not always be forgotten
nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.


i love you guys!

12 comments:

Becky said...

Thank you! yeah yeah yeah! love you!

Margie said...

love you huney!

Anonymous said...

When I saw you posted a new entry I said out loud, "Yeeeeessss!" Anywho, I'd send you money but I don't know how to? Someone fill me in please :-). Also, I'm soo soo so happy to see it's be going great for you!
Alway always in our prayers, you are. And will continue to be...

<3M. Suchan

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

lvlmaveriklvl or anyone else that would like to contribute,my email is beckym1110@yahoo.com. we can email back and forth for when and how...
kirstin's mom

Stacy said...

Kirstin, You are beautiful! I love your enthusiasm! You are putting a face to Jesus for so many, I'm honored to know you! Love and prayers...may God's abundant love, and provision be with ALL of you!~Stacy

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey girl!

So happy to hear you are safe and that you are already accomplishing so much =)

I was really excited because on my first day of class, my teacher was wearing one of the suubi necklaces. She went on to tell the class about how she was raised in Uganda for most of her life(I think she said her parents were missionaries). I told her that you just left to go work with the suubi women. I guess she didn't find out about the organization until after she had been living here a while.

Anyways, I just thought it was kind of cool and of course it's encouraging to have a teacher like that.

Can't wait to hear more about your experience...keep us all updated!!

-Kelly

Sara said...

if Jesus had a blog, this would be it. you are shining so bright we feel it here. love you.

JanuaryBegan said...

Sounds like everything is going great for you over there. I hope and pray it continues to do so. Oh and this is Patrick by the way and also by the way I gave myself a new tattoo today. : ) Well take care and God Bless!

rissanicolea said...

Hey, it's rissa. How come there arent any pictures of me with you at your party or at my house ;) jk

hope you are having a great time, and be safe! Also, how is my hoodie doing? jk

Jessie brown is sitting here with me at the building, she says, "hi" She is in a very mellow mood today ( i can't spell).

Anyway, put some pics up dude!

peace out!

love, rissa

bethanieholdorf said...

you are so beautiful
and i wore my shirt today
the one you bought me.
imissyouu.

<33

bethlyn

i loveee youuu