Monday, May 18, 2009

excerpt.

Today I tied all of the tiny things
your strong hands once had placed into mine,
to red balloons, bright and happy against the sky
and the smoke twirling from my cigarette.
my fingers rejoiced and trebbled while they feebly
tied nots to precious sticks and twigs, rocks and toys from
when you were just a boy.
I remember the night you came back for me, and
i had them strewn about the living room floor. you
collapsed into my out stretched arms, you had never seen
this little box of treasures before, though i had mentioned it
once, or maybe twice, or twenty times.
The wind took your trinkets and their cherry colored
chariots to the skies.
I was worried that the jacobs ladder,
wooden and heavy, wouldnt take flight
but it did.
We were children then, dreamers, wide eyed and giddy.
We are supposed to be grown now.
I am still wide eyed.
My hopes are that your letters will seem fitting
to a mother bird to line her nest with your words,
so dear to me when I was a child.

No comments: